Pages

Monday, January 17, 2011

Tip-Toeing Topics

I love the holidays, all holidays.  I think this feeling comes from my childhood and the excitement of every holiday around our house.  Mom always had something prepared to read to us, give to us, or some crafty project for us to create.  Thanks, mom...those happy memories mean a lot to me.

The happy feeling of Christmas is one of my favorite times of year.  I know, I know...it's mid-January and I'm writing about Christmas, but I truly do love the feeling of warmth, love and happiness everywhere.  I even enjoy the crowded malls, the hustle and bustle and the mass marketing of the season that begins before Halloween has arrived.  The one thing I do not enjoy is the tip-toeing around everyone's feelings, customs and traditions about what the holiday season is all about. 

As a teacher, I really struggle with the sensitive topics and what I should and shouldn't teach.  I'm not only talking about Christmas either.  There are many schools across the nation that no longer celebrate Halloween or St. Valentine's Day.  Really?  I honestly don't have anything profound to say about this topic, but I do know that I don't shy away from talking, teaching and providing an opportunity for classroom discussion on most holidays, traditions, customs and beliefs that are shared around our world.  I find it incredibly valuable to have these student-led conversations because it provides an opportunity for creating community and establishing relationships in my classroom.  After all, isn't a classroom supposed to provide that safe environment for students?  A place where they can openly discuss, ask questions and develop their own opinions on wordly views sounds like an ideal classroom to me.

As a 6th grade teacher I feel comfortable and confident in what I teach and what I do not shy away from when it comes to tip-toeing topics. 

With that being said...Happy Halloween, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and Happy Valentine's Day.   

No comments: