Pages

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Rainy Day Recess

There's nothing fun about it. The kids are trapped inside, I'm trapped inside (WITH THEM) and it makes for a long day. Rest assured I still love my class dearly, but when they are 12, excited for our 6th grade trip, 12, eager for winter break, 12, overstressed with assessments, 12....THEY NEED THEIR RECESS.  Maybe I just need them to have their recess. 

I live in an area where it rains.  It rains a lot during the winter months.  It's not necessarily that cold, but it rains.  (I don't necessarily care for the rain.) When it rains too much the kids can't go outside or they can't play in certain areas of the playground because it's too muddy.  Seriously, it baffles me that engineers, architechts, contractors (whomever plays a role in building a school) doesn't take the weather into consideration.  A play area that can be sheltered from rain, that won't cause a muddy mess and that can cover a significant amount of students should be considered when building a school in western Washington. 

Although, my kids ARE quietly working (on a writing assessment) as I blog about the rainy day.

1 comment:

Laurel said...

Seriously! My school is new too, and they spent gobs on money on playground equipment that everyone says is hard to supervise, but nobody thought to build a covered play area.