Pages

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

"Well Begun is Half Done"

One of my favorite movies is Mary Poppins and today as I began unstacking, rearranging, tossing out, and rearranging some more I thought how nice it would be to have Mary Poppins by my side.  If only it could be as simple as a snap of the finger and my classroom could be set up, everything in it's perfect place and completely ready for my students. 

In thinking of Mary Poppins today, I was reminded of what I experienced my first year of teaching and where I would like to go from there. 

Last year in hearing that I was not going to have a job at Sandburg for this year...
Jane: Mary Poppins, we won't let you go!
Mary Poppins: Go? What on earth are you talking about?
Michael: Didn't you get sacked?
Mary Poppins: Sacked? Certainly not. I am never sacked!
Jane: Oh, Mary Poppins!
Jane, Michael: Hurrah, hurray, hurray, hurray, hurray, hurray...
Mary Poppins: Neither am I a Maypole. Kindly stop spinning about me.

That's right!  I'm back at Sandburg teaching 6th grade!  Now, how can I best put my students to work and trick them into learning while having fun?...
Mary Poppins: Our first game is called Well Begun is Half-Done.
Michael: I don't like the sound of that.
Mary Poppins: Otherwise titled Let's Tidy up the Nursery.  (How about the classroom?)
Michael: I told you she was tricky.

After everything is in it's place, I get to be Mrs. MacDonald and teach them life skills because that's what really matters, right? 
Mary Poppins: Never judge things by their appearance... even carpetbags. I'm sure I never do.

Well, maybe I should start with classroom rules...
Mary Poppins: We can't have them gallivanting up there like kangaroos, can we?
 
But, most importantly, I want my students to be themselves, learn from one another and have fun.
Mary Poppins: In every job that must be done, there is an element of fun. You find the fun, and - SNAP - the job's a game! ("job" could be replaced with homework, task, errand, class work, group work, etc.)

And although it would be nice to be Mary Poppins, I know that all I can be is myself, Mrs. MacDonald.  However, it wouldn't be so bad if my students thought I was like Mary Poppins every now and then...
Mary Poppins: As I expected. "Mary Poppins, practically perfect in every way." 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

a great, great post, my friend! love it! you are my mary poopins! (typo and it stays.)

Still Life With Coffee said...

Robin... you are a teacher after my own heart <3 Those 6th graders are so lucky! Good luck with your elimination diet too. I'm sure people have already suggested giving up gluten, right? That is usually a big culprit.