Pages

Friday, August 6, 2010

Inbetweenie

Today is Hannah's birthday.  Usually I have Hannah Thursday's, but today was Hannah Friday because I had a writing conference I was at yesterday.  It just happened to be Hannah's birthday today.  How exciting!  I absolutely love birthdays!  I have great birthday memories from when I was a little girl (maybe a later post).  Hannah's day with me began with a HUGE cupcake balloon, 6 rainbow chip cupcakes with rainbow chip frosting, and a suprise visitor...Mrs. Raines.  Mrs. Raines was Hannah's second grade teacher who also happens to be a dear friend of mine.  Next we headed to the Pancake House for breakfast where we delighted ourselves with omelettes, blueberry pancakes and amazing potatoes.  (I mean AMAZING!)  After breakfast we went and found a cozy piece of grass on Mercer Island where we parked ourselves for the next couple of hours watching the Seafair air show.  Talk about breathtaking, heart pounding and tearfully proud to be an American moments.  (I'm now in love with the Blue Angels.) 

Let me back up a bit....(This next little bit is one of the many reasons I love children.)

As we were driving to Mercer Island Mrs. Raines, Hannah and I were talking about our "favorites" that we had in common.  The conversation went as follows....

Mrs. MacDonald:  "What's your favorite model of car?"
Hannah: "What do you mean?"
Mrs. MacDonald: "Well, for example, I like Volkswagen Bugs.  The old kind, not the newer kind.  The Beetles."
Hannah:  "Oh, I like...hmm...I like Toyotas."
Mrs. Raines:  "I like Audi's.  Like the Audi A4 or A6."
(Silence...which very rarely happens with Hannah. Then a thought occurred in her curious, cute and innocent little brain.)
Hannah: "You mean like belly buttons?"
(Mrs. Raines and I shared a look of confusion with one another.)
Hannah:  "You know.  Like an innie or an outie?" 
(Laughter echoed in the car, or rather cackling bellowed from Raines and myself.)
Mrs. MacDonald:  While laughing, "Yes, like an innie or an outie."

We all continued to laugh so hard and the conversation progressed into the curiosity of a 9 year old and what would a person have if they had both an innie and an outie. 

The final conclusion was if you don't have an innie or an outie then you must have an inbetweenie. 

Happy birthday, Hannah.  I'm glad Mrs. Raines and I got to share it with you. 

1 comment:

Still Life With Coffee said...

What a totally cute story! And Robin... I love your blog :-) So much fun.
Erin