Pages

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Monsters, Monin!

The past couple of years we have had a bi-weekly (and sometimes weekly) tradition at our house and not many are aware of this tradition. It all started with Aidan and quickly grew to Gia (Delia). And I predict that in due time Liam will also fall into the regular viewing of a favorite at Uncle Tad and Aunt Monin's house. By the time Aidan has half a foot in our front doorway, he is already mid-question, "Monin can we watch Monsters, please?" Not far behind him is Gia shouting, "Monsters, Monin!" It's nearly impossible to say "no" to a bright-blue-eyed-polite-soft-spoken-little-boy and his sidekick who happens to be bright-blue-eyed-cute-as-a-button-little-girl. With no twisting of the arm, I push play on the DVD player (because the movie has a permanent spot in the CD carousel labeled 1) and away we go, watching Monsters, Inc. for the next hour and a half....well, at least the kiddos do.

I wanted to write about this because this past Saturday night, Aidan spent the night at our house. We didn't have a chance to watch Monsters because we took him to my school's play. When we got home it was approaching bed time and the routine was as usual; however, this time the questioning of whether we could watch Monsters began on the way home from the theater. When we got home there was a diversion of Monsters because Uncle Tad suggested we have icecream before bed. Perfect!

Sunday morning as I was getting dressed, I heard a little soft-spoken-sleepy-voice from the bedroom, "Monin, can we watch Monsters?" Without fail and again, no twist of the arm, I went into the other room, scooped up a sleeply little boy, pushed play on the DVD player and there we were...snuggled on the couch at 6:30 a.m. watching Monsters. I loved every minute of it.

2 comments:

Julie Barrans said...

I'm so grateful that my precious grandkids have Aunt Monin and Uncle Chad in their lives. They are truly blessed by both of you. You will both be the most wonderful parents someday. Thanks for pouring out your love on Aidan, Gia (Delia) & Liam. I know they love you both so much and so do I.

Unknown said...

Oh My Goodness. Thank you for loving my babies the way you do. They love their auntie Monin and Tad so much!! Each time they spend with you is a special time and I so appreciate all you do! Makes me love you even more - if that's possible. <3