Pages

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Hormones, Oh My!

Since the winter break, my 6th graders have changed. They aren't my little 6th graders that they were 4 months ago. They are physically, emotionally and intellecutally changing...and they have no idea what is about to hit them.

Friday afternoon, about 15 minutes into their 30 minute lunch recess, two girls came sobbing (I mean SOBBING) into the classroom. One of the girls tried to get out through sniffles, tears and uncontrollable gasps that she was crying and she didn't know why. Just as she was saying "why" she burst into tears (again) and tried to tell me what she thought was going on, but I could barely understand her through the sniffles. Then the second girl chimed in that whenever any of her friends started crying she would just start crying and couldn't stop.

So there I sat, with two 6th grade girls squirting alligator tears, and me trying not to laugh at them. (I know, completely heartless, but still funny.) Then the first girl said (through sobs), "Mrs. MacDonald, don't laugh at us. That isn't very nice." I then sat down with them and asked them if they would like me to explain what was going on. (Insert awkward moment of silence.) And as I began to share with them that unfortunately their bodies are changing, their hormones are going nuts.... One said, "No, please don't say it."...then I continued you are probably getting ready to start your...And as I was about to say "period", the first girl WAILED, "OH, she said it." (And, yes, burst into tears again.)

This 3-minute scenario turned into 12 more minutes when 3 more girls arrived to the classroom crying, sad, upset and no clue as to why or what was going on with them. Those 12 minutes were filled with questions, concerns and comments all about being a young woman. Oh, my poor 6th grade girls...it's almost unfair watching them go through the emotional and physical changes without any control. Odd to say, but I enjoyed the moment shared with the girls. Maybe I'm the one they feel comfortable talking to...and I think that's okay.

1 comment:

Gina said...

I wish you were my 6th grade teacher. That is so great that they feel that comfortable with you! You are the best teacher EVER!!!!