Pages

Friday, April 1, 2011

Perfect Day

One of my favorite things to do is walk around downtown Seattle with a cup of something warm to drink in hand (usually a chai latte) and just enjoy the life that surrounds me.  More often than not I have destinations in mind and a particular routine takes place and I guess I didn't realize this until more recently.  I used to share this routine with my friend Anna, but she no longer lives in Seattle (I miss her dearly).

The routine starts off by finding parking.  I wish I knew of a great "secret" place to park that didn't cost a fortune, but I have yet to find that spot.  So, I usually find myself parking in the Pacific Place garage because I feel safe...and it's part of the routine.  Upon leaving Pacific Place through the main mall entrance, I am welcomed to the hustle and bustle of a small-town-big-city.  Hello, Seattle!  Next stop, closest Starbucks, which happens to be on Pine and 6th right across the street.  Once my warm drink is in hand I venture to the Gap, where I really can't afford anything, but if I find a hat, scarf, tights or socks on sale then I might purchase them.  After "ooing" and "aweing" over what I would like to wear I venture next door to Old Navy.  Definitely more appealing to my wallet, but I'm not always in the mood to have to dig through piles of clothing and sales racks.  I then mosey down a block and around the corner to Anthropologie.  I love going into this store purely to dream.  Wishful thinking is all that comes from Anthropologie because it is definitely out of my league for my wallet.  I love the unique display of items, the smell of their candles burning and the feeling I get...almost as if I am in another country.  I definitely enjoy the dreaming that I endeavor in Anthropologie. 

I do enjoy the shopping, or rather looking, but what I really enjoy is my next destination, Pike's Place Market.  I can spend hours down at the market taking in the smells, watching the people interact, listening to the street performers, and seeing life happen all around me. 
This is Kathy, a friend from St. John/Westport.
We shared market experiences together this past week.

In the market, off to the left of the FISH guys is a treasure called Market Spice.  This store has an abundance of teas and spices to purchase from bulk.  In the back of the store there is always a warm pot of tea brewing and samples are available.  By now my coffee is gone and the comfort smell of Market Spice tea is the perfect treat...especially on a rainy Seattle day.  
Hello Market Spice.

A purchase from Market Spice doesn't happen to often, but when it does it's always a toss up between the huckleberry and original Market Spice teas. 

If my trip into Pike's Place is earlier in the morning then I will visit my next favorite spot, the Doughnut Company.  There is something about this smell that brings back childhood memories and I couldn't figure it out until Chad mentioned something to me the other day, the doughnut machine at Wild Waters.  (Side story)  When I was younger there were a couple of summers where we had a pass to Wild Waters, a water slide park in Coeurd'Alene, Idaho.   At the water park there was a similar doughnut machine as the one at Pike's Place Market.  Instead of buying lunch, Rolan and I would put our money together and buy these mini doughnuts.  I can't recall how often we would buy and eat doughnuts for lunch, but I don't think it was too often because we didn't always have the money.  I don't think the doughnuts in the market are the same, but the smell is identical.  It's a sweet-bakery-greasy aroma and makes my stomach crave the doughnuts whenever I walk out of the Market Spice and down the side hall to the Doughnut Company location.  A couple of days ago was no exception and without question I stood in line, as there is always a line (That's a good sign, right?), and waited patiently for my hot, freshly made, 6 plain mini doughnuts. 
Mmmm...mini doughnuts.

If you look closely you can see in the window a tier of doughnuts.  The top tier has sprinkled, and cinnamon and sugar doughnuts, the middle has powdered doughnuts and the bottom has the plain doughnuts.  I should've taken a picture of the doughnut machine next to the tier of doughnuts...I guess I'll just have to go back. 

With my sack of mini doughnuts in hand, which I should also say that six mini doughnuts is enough for 2-3 people because they are so greasy and rich, I will then venture through the remainder of the market and often, get to the end, turn around and walk back through.  The flowers, the colors, the fresh fruit and vegetable samples, the street performers, the funny fishermen, the tourists, the locals, the crafts, the almond samples, the crazy people, the view of the water, the history...I love it all. 

Alas, I have taken in all that I can, or am becoming concerned about the hefty parking bill awaiting me, and will head back towards the car...

What a perfect day. 

No comments: