Pages

Monday, March 14, 2011

Listography

I'm often looking for ways to get my students to write without it feeling like a chore.  I want students to express themselves in their writing, provide detail and really let their readers imagine what they are writing about.  I want to feel what my students are feeling as I read their writing.  Without question, I also want them to work on their conventions (spelling, capitalization, and punctuation), but then I find them getting hung-up on their conventions and not focusing on the actual content of their writing; the part I find more meaningful. 

While on my weekend jaunt to Widbey Island, I picked up this little treasure.
Listography: Your Life in Lists [Book]
My immediate thought was how fun this would be to share with my students and how it might trigger ideas for their writing....or ideas for teaching.

On the ferry ride home I pulled out my new purchase and began filling it in.  Here is my first list.

Places I've Lived:
Lompoc, California
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Pinehurst, Idaho
Moscow, Idaho
Quito, Ecuador
Bothell, Washington
Kirkland, Washington

Fun!  I've got to remember to take this to school and share with my kids.  They are going to love this!

No comments: